Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I Might Be Broken

Still not working on what I should be working on.

Can't seem to knit anything but socks!

So here's a new one (The Elfine's Socks have hit the point where they really need to be tried on by zee Mama before I go any further; the Doctor's New Socks are in a similar state):





This is a version of the "Gentlemen's Fancy Sock" from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. The yarn is Trekking XXL 100, which I have been craving for near on six months now.

I love the stitch pattern:





Closer, you say?





Stupid, stupid, stupid I didn't read the detailed pattern description before casting on the first time. Although it is titled as a sock for the gentlemen (as the pattern was its original publication), Ms. Bush explains in the somewhat finer print that she has resized the sock for the ladies with the 7 1/2 inch circumference feet. WHO HAS FEET THIS SMALL?

In any event, I started with the 80 stitch cast-on called for in the pattern, and what with the 2 mm needles, etc. . . . Way too tight, plus I think the pattern looks best when it isn't fully stretched out.

Here, just slightly stretched out:





I could have cast on a few extry stitches and moved up a needle size, but what do you know? All my other sock needles are occupied. (Wonder how that happened . . . ) So I stuck with the smaller needles, went with the intuition, and went for a whopping 100 stitches.

And so this is taking a while!

(But I really, really like it.)

My favorite bit is where the ribbing meets the road:





(Don't you think that a fitted, long sleeve sweater in lozenges like this, but of varied lengths, would be awesome?)

I think these will fit me very comfortably.

And I am very much looking forward to wearing my new socks.

But.

They could probably also very comfortably fit someone else (a particular someone else) who might be interested in some extremely colourful, randomly striped woolen socks. (He's even wackier than me . . . .)

On some days it is way more difficult to be generous than on others.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Carson said...

hmmm...a successful marriage of yarn and stitch.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hey! MY foot is 7&1/2 inches around at the ball of the foot. Of course, I really DO have very small feet....

2:52 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I love how the pattern is working out with the colours in the yarn -- very cool!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super-looking socks.
And I must take another pic of the use I made of the yarn you sent me. It went very well. You'll see eventually. Thanks.
Gillian

2:50 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Mucho pretty socks! Gotta love that Trekking....You have a talent for marrying patterns with yarn to make lovely pieces...did you know that?

Ang

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home