Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dead Line





All babies are special. But this baby is particularly special. Blah, blah, blah . . . (You don't wanna hear it.)

A bunch of the little knits previously featured on the blog are meant for this kid. But still missing from the collection is a blanket.

A blanket seems key.

The pseudo-Prairie Blanket has 3 1/2 skeins in her as of this morning. I think she's got another 4 1/2 to go. Possibly more if I go with my original plan to do a 30" by 40" blanket. Since revised downward to a 30" square, which is still perfectly acceptable.

The baby shower is on September 2nd. Which means I've got just over two weeks.

(I'm telling you now, if I don't get the thing done in time for the shower, this is going to end up some other baby's blanket. Which would be kind of unfortunate. I hear that blanket-related takesie-backsies can scar a kid for life.)

I don't think this would be too ambitious, except that there are major knitting distractions all around me.

And to say that I don't like knitting deadlines would be an understatement.

I don't do knitting deadlines.

Not very well, anyway.

Mainly I knit baby stuff on a whim.

Which is why I invented the Strategic Baby Knits Reserves. I knit something baby-related on a whim. It goes into the Strategic Reserves. And it waits there until the right baby comes along.

Maybe it is a little gauche to give a kid a handknit that wasn't made especially for him or her. And for some kids, I do manage to get my needles in gear. But most of them seem to calculate when I will be whimless and time their arrival accordingly. So . . . Reserves are better than "out of luck" any day.

There are no blankets in the Strategic Baby Knits Reserves.

Dagnabbit!

1 Comments:

Blogger Meira Shana said...

I finished the freebie called "Tree of Life" and kept it. Luckily, the very best baby came along - a friend's friend's baby, Caleb, who was struggling with his first beginnings.

My friend asked if she could buy the blanket from me - I said 'No, but you can take it after I rewash it and give it to Caleb."

Caleb must like her gift because he has been thriving since receiving it!!

Sure put a smile on my face -- oh, and then my friend sent me a $50 gift certificate to my fav steakhouse. Couldn't argue with her so I ate dinner as I thought about sweet Caleb.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home