Thursday, June 29, 2006

Orkney Trellis

Here's another one that just got its buttons. (All-but-finished months ago.)

Trellis, in the smallest size.

Front:





And back:





I'd wanted to make this one for a while, so when I saw the severely discounted All Seasons Cotton in Orkney, I went for it. This is a solid pattern, an interesting knit, and the end-product very useable and with the potential to be well-loved. Overall, I am very happy with it. I did, however, have two extremely minor complaints / difficulties.

My first issue was that the seed stitch border on the bottom edge puckered something awful (as you can see in the photo above). Quite possible that this is me. (Or my knitting, rather.) But I note the same problem in one of the photos on Knitty, and it does seem to me that this could be a problem for others, because the cable and twisted stitch patterns in the body should naturally have a more smooshed gauge than the seed stitch. I could have blocked the heck out of it, but then the nice cabling would have been stretched all out of proportion. Anyway, if I did this one again, I think I'd experiment with casting on a few fewer ("few fewer?") stitches at the beginning, then adding them back in after the bottom border was done.

My second issue is with the instruction to graft the cables and seed stitch at the shoulders and back of the collar. I've previously grafted stockinette, reverse stockinette, and garter with no trouble. But I simply could not figure out how to get these guys lined up. Everything is a half a stitch off. Is it me, or is a perfect graft really, actually, physically impossible? (I vote for the latter.) My point is, I think there are probably enough of us advanced-but-not-too-advanced knitters out there that it would have been a simple kindness to either explain that the ideal graft just could not be or to give us the slightest hint as to how such graft could be accomplished. (Because I spent way too long trying to fix this before I learned to live with it.)

But what am I saying??? FREE PATTERN. I got way more than I paid for.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy in DC said...

I'm such a new knitter, I'm not even sure WHAT you are talking about on most of your post for this sweater. I just think it looks fantastic. All that cabling! I'm sure lining up the back etc. WAS frustrating, but no one will notice/care. It looks so nice!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Beautiful sweater. And the buttons look great (LOL! Me and my buttons!).

(I'm working on getting my camera to take better close-up shots of buttons - I'll send you a few pics tomorrow!)

1:50 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

this sweater is just gorgeous! You've done a wonderful job knitting this. The puckering problem is a design issue. Looks like they did not add enough stitches to the cable section of the sweater. Still, If you hadn't pointed that out, I would never have noticed. Also, re the grafting, see if you can ask about that on Knitty's bulletin board. I think there is one specifically for Knitty projects.
I really am enjoying your blog. I've added you to my Bloglines
feeds, so you now have one subscriber. If you don't know about Bloglines, let me know. I'll be glad to tell you what I know to help get more hits/subscribers. Keep up the good knitting and writing!
Ang

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home