Monday, February 26, 2007

Miss Me?

I'm done!

Green Superwash Weasley:




I used THIS to get an idea of what I was doing, but made lots of modifications to account for the yarn I was using (Valley Superwash, from Webs). As I said before, the yarn is quite nice -- a little denser than your Cascade 220 Superwash, maybe also a little softer. I put the sweater (or most of it, anyway) through the wash before blocking, and it held up very well.

I like this pattern a lot. And I think what I may like about it the very most is that it is a kids' sweater that can potentially be used for several years. It is quite baggy, giving plenty of room to grow in width.

So the part of the sweater where a kid's rapidly increasing size would really become an issue is the sleeves, maybe the body length. But the sleeves are baggy too, and are knit from the top-down. (I did a rolled bottom sleeve rather than the ribbing that the pattern called for.) All of which means that Mother-of-Y can send the sweater back to me when the sleeves get too short, I can easily add some more length (maybe even that ribbing in a contrasting color), and they get at least another year out of it. Neat.

Scarf for V:




I used THIS to get an idea of what I was doing, but made lots of modifications to account for the fact that I wanted a scarf rather than a hat. (I'll post those mods in a day or so, for those who are interested.) This yarn was great, too -- but it is hard to not like Kureyon. (Although, these colors are also not my favorites! Ever seen Kureyon 170? Now *that* is to die for.)

Now, I have to ask.

Kureyon.

I heard just the other day something that made me think it isn't supposed to be pronounced Cure-E-On.

Which is the only way I've heard it said.

Not that I have heard that many people say, "Kureyon" at all.

Mostly I just see it written.

But really, if you sound it out, using Japanese pronunciation, it is clearly Koo-Ray-On.

Which is the closest the Japanese language can get to the English word "Crayon."

WHICH, AS IT TURNS OUT, IS WHAT KUREYON MEANS.

So my question is, am I the only Noro fan on the block who did not know this?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger old lady said...

Your scarf is LOVELY! Nice job! Sure looks difficult!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course we missed you. But we missed the knitting more;-> So...what does the 'Y' stand for?

Ang

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that Kureyon means Crayon in Japanese. Makes sense, though.

Ang

10:49 PM  
Blogger Anonyknits said...

"Y" stands for the first letter in one of the kid's names, of course! Silly, silly, Ang. :)

11:02 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I didn't know that either. Although I should have guessed. Many years ago my mom signed up for Japanese lessons by correspondence. There were many English words that were just "Japanesed" up. Like tepu-recoda. That's tape recorder! Funny eh?

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nifty the things you learn. :-) I love discovering little trivia like that.

The sweater looks great!

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home